1. You must be 21 years old.
2. You must not be addicted to the use of alcohol.
3. Probable cause must not exist that you would endanger yourself or others.
4. a) You must not be a convicted felon. b) You must not have a misdemeanor for domestic violence.
5. You must not have been convicted of an aggravated misdemeanor within the last three years.
6. You must not be prohibited by federal law to carry a firearm.
If you’re looking for a legal explanation, below is Iowa Code 724.8 – Persons ineligible for permit to carry weapons.
No professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons shall be issued to a person who is subject to any of the following:
1. Is less than eighteen years of age for a professional permit or less than twenty-one years of age for a nonprofessional permit.
2. Is addicted to the use of alcohol.
3. Probable cause exists to believe, based upon documented specific actions of the person,where at least one of the actions occurred within two years immediately preceding the date of the permit application, that the person is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner as would endanger the person’s self or others.
4. Is subject to the provisions of section 724.26 [link to 724.26]
5. Has, within the previous three years, been convicted of any serious or aggravated misdemeanor defined in chapter 708 not involving the use of a firearm or explosive.
6. Is prohibited by federal law from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm.
[C79, 81, §724.8]
2010 Acts, ch 1178, §6, 19
Get certified online right now.
Take the test for FREE – Protect yourself and your family.
You only pay for your certification after you pass the test.
Now only $79 for a limited time.